As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This year we decided to try growing a few things we have never grown before and the one I am going to talk about today is green beans. We ordered Bush Bean Contender from burpees in seed form. I have never been lucky with seeds except for cucumbers, so I thought I was going to fail miserably. I was completely wrong. In 6-8 weeks, we had all these green beans pictured below and even more, are still out there on the bushes.
Did you know?
Green beans are a low-calorie food that provides many key nutrients that your bones, skin, and hair need. They are a good source of vitamin C, dietary fiber, folate, vitamin K and silicon.
How to pick the good ones:
Per The Old Farmer’s Almanac, a green bean at its peak should have vivid color, a firm texture, and make that unmistakable “snap” when broken.
How to store fresh green beans:
They freeze well, especially if you harvest them while slender and freeze them whole. If you do not use them right away, you can refrigerate them for a few days. If they began to wrinkle, they are no longer at their peak of freshness.
Side Dish Winner for Thanksgiving Dinner?
I asked my husband if I should make these for Thanksgiving and he told me no because he wouldn’t want to share them. They are good so I can’t complain that much.
To the Recipe:
- Bowl for mixing
- Knife for trimming the ends from the beans
Easy Baked Green beans
- 1/2 C Italian Bread Crumbs
- 1/8 C Olive Oil Extra Virgin - may need a little more or less depending on how the breadcrumbs are sticking to the green beans.
- 1.5 lbs Green Beans Fresh
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees
- Take the green beans and wash them well. Then cut off the ends to each side if needed.
- Pat the green beans dry before mixing in the breadcrumbs and olive oil.
- Stir until the green beans are evenly coated.
- Place in the oven for 20 to 25mins. Then enjoy!
My kids enjoyed this recipe so much they asked for seconds. Yes, you read that correctly! Seconds and thirds of baked green beans, a vegetable.
Hope you enjoy,
For more of my recipes please click here!
Looking for more recipes for your green beans? I recommend checking out The Old Farmer’s Almanac as they over some other great ones.