As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Momma’s Dump Cake
My mother passed away when I was very young of cancer. I was raised just by my father which he kept all my mother’s recipes and he passed them down to me when I moved out of the house. You never know how much that could mean and the fact that this was one of her go-to dishes.
When I had my boys I started to enjoy cooking more of her recipes than I ever did before. It’s an amazing feeling that you can make the same thing your parents made for you. It is a recipe we make very often in our home now since it is EASY to make. The boys love trying to spread everything around to make it even and then eating it of course!
What exactly is a Dump Cake?
The name cake is a little bit deceptive and some people prefer to call a dump cake instead of a cobbler. Either one is correct though, but I prefer to call it a dump cake as it is just putting all the ingredients in a 9×13 baking dish and baking. No stirring even.
When people are not praising its delicious taste, they’re often celebrating how quick and easy this dessert is to make.
A dump cake is usually a combination of canned fruit, with pie filling and pineapples being some of the most preferred. The fruit is usually not drained and combined on the bottom of a baking dish. Next, people add yellow, white, or chocolate cake mix, simply pouring the mix right over the fruit.
Recipes vary but most then direct people to add slices of butter on top of the cake mix. When the cake is baked it has a lovely top crust that is buttery over a layer of sweet fruit.
How long does dump cake stay fresh? Does it need to be refrigerated?
If you leave it on the counter it will only stay fresh for two days max. If you refrigerate then it will stay fresh up to a week. Be sure not to place next to onions or garlic as it will affect the flavors.
Some Feedback Statements:
It is often so good that it evaporates very quickly, and people request it for cookouts all the time!
It’s so good that it can satisfy chocolate, sweet or even a cake craving.
Momma's Dump Cake
- 9x13 Pyrex Dish
- 1 box Cake Mix You can use pretty much any type of cake mix. Sometimes I use Yellow and other times Devils Food Cake mix.
- 20 oz Can of Pineapple Tidbits DO NOT DRAIN
- 20 oz Can of Cherry Pie Filling You can substitute Apple or Blueberry to, but the Cherry is my favorite
- 1/2-1 stick Butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Spread the undrained pineapple tidbits on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.
- Dump the Cherry (Apple or Blueberry) pie filling on top and try to spread around evenly.
- Spread the dry yellow cake mix on top and try to make it as level as possible.
- Melt the butter a little and them place it on top. I recommend trying to spread around the best as you can.
- Bake in the oven for 50-55min, until the top, is golden.
Want other ideas for a Dump Cake? Check out, Betty Crocker.
It’s difficult to find dessert recipes that are easier to make than the dump cake. It’s a great recipe for beginning cooks, especially young ones. Even little kids can make these because they don’t have to measure ingredients.
Please let me know which ones you try or some new concoctions! There seem to be so many YUMMY ones!