As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I was really in the mood to bake something, but I had a few dilemmas. You will want to read more on how I came to making this deliciously satisfying cinnamon shortbread with chocolate chips that evaporate quickly from my house.
Have you ever been in the mood to bake something and discovered you were out of eggs?
Maybe that hasn’t ever happened to you, but it’s happened to me. Recently, there was a shortage of eggs at our local grocery store. I live in a small town, so grocery options are limited.
What could I bake without eggs?
Good news! I remembered I had an easy recipe for cinnamon shortbread in my recipe files. Shortbread is the perfect treat to bake when you have no eggs on hand. Real butter is a must for this recipe, which I did have on hand.
The problem was, I was craving chocolate. What to do? I could add chocolate chips and make easy cinnamon shortbread with chocolate chips!
If you are familiar with some of my other recipe posts, you know I put chocolate chips in a lot of baked goods. I’ve shared recipes for easy white chocolate raspberry scones, easy zucchini bread with chocolate chips, and easy chocolate chip banana bread with raspberries.
Did you notice I have the word “easy” in all of these recipes?
That’s because I like to keep things simple. Here’s my version of easy cinnamon shortbread with added chocolate chips.
I found this basic cinnamon shortbread recipe years ago in the FoodDay section of The Oregonian newspaper. Other shortbread recipes I had tried were not spectacularly unsuccessful. I even have a special shortbread baking dish.
As you can see from the photograph, it looks a little brown around the edges. My first attempts at shortbread turned out rather well-done. Although I love the fancy little designs on the bottom, the shortbread turned out horribly overcooked.
I’m not sure if it was the fault of the dish or the baker. I was thrilled to find the recipe in the newspaper because it didn’t call for the use of a special shortbread baking dish. I could use just a regular 9-by-13-inch rectangular baking dish, which I had in my cupboard. Maybe I could do this! I gave it a try, and it’s been a favorite recipe ever since.
I like to cut the shortbread into smaller pieces than the original recipe suggested. Since it has cinnamon, this makes an excellent treat for the holidays. It’s also delicious as part of a high tea. I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as I do.
Easy Cinnamon Shortbread with Chocolate Chips
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 c unsalted butter, softened if you have salted butter, just omit the added salt (2 sticks)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 c chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a9-by-13-inch rectangular baking dish or pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt until blended. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on low speed, mix the butter, sugar and brown sugar together.
- Add the vanilla. Gradually blend the flour mixture into the butter mixture. Finally, mix in the chocolate chips. You should end up with a ball of buttery dough.
- Press the dough evenly into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
- Using a fork or small knife, decoratively score the dough if you like.
- Bake in the center of the oven about 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown around the edges.
- Remove from the oven and let cool completely.
- When the shortbread is cool, cut into small bars. I usually cut 48 bars in the 9-by-13-inch pan.
How Should I Store Shortbread?
Store shortbread in a sealed airtight container. If you wish to store the shortbread for a future function, I understand it may be wrapped well with plastic wrap and frozen. I have never tried this. Shortbread, especially with chocolate chips involved, does not last long around my house.
Of course, you may choose to just make the easy cinnamon shortbread recipe without adding chocolate chips. I’ve often thought of adding dried blueberries or nuts. You might discover your own favorite combination. This recipe is very versatile.
Are You Now Craving Freshly Baked Easy Cinnamon Shortbread with Chocolate Chips?
Is easy cinnamon shortbread with chocolate chips calling your name? If you decide to try this recipe, I’d love to know how it turns out. You may connect with me below.
Have a fabulous day, and have fun baking easy cinnamon shortbread with chocolate chips.
Connect with me on Social Media: