The easiest light and fluffy pumpkin dip that you have ever heard of. It only requires three ingredients! Yes, three easy ingredients which mean you can whip up this recipe in under 10 minutes and take it to any party this fall.
Facts about Pumpkin:
Pumpkin is a type of winter squash that belongs to the Cucurbitaceae family.
While commonly viewed as a vegetable, pumpkin is scientifically a fruit, as it contains seeds. That said, it’s nutritionally more similar to vegetables than fruits.
Beyond its delicious taste, pumpkin is nutritious and linked to many health benefits.
Benefits of Pumpkin:
There is no added sugar and pumpkin has a lot of nutritional benefits that make it even for kids to enjoy. Watch out though they may clean the dish before you get a chance to have seconds or thirds, per Jack.
Per Healthline, pumpkin is full of tons of health benefits which I will be sharing below the most impressive ones.
1. Highly Nutritious and Particularly Rich in Vitamin A
One cup of cooked pumpkin (245 grams) contains (1):
- Calories: 49
- Fat: 0.2 grams
- Protein: 2 grams
- Carbs: 12 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Vitamin A: 245% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI)
- Vitamin C: 19% of the RDI
- Potassium: 16% of the RDI
- Copper: 11% of the RDI
- Manganese: 11% of the RDI
- Vitamin B2: 11% of the RDI
- Vitamin E: 10% of the RDI
- Iron: 8% of the RDI
- Small amounts of magnesium, phosphorus, zinc, folate and several B vitamins.
Besides being packed with vitamins and minerals, pumpkin is also relatively low in calories, as it’s 94% water (2).
2. High Antioxidant Content May Reduce Your Risk of Chronic Diseases
Pumpkins contain antioxidants, such as alpha-carotene, beta-carotene, and beta-cryptoxanthin. These can neutralize free radicals, stopping them from damaging your cells (3).
3. Packs Vitamins That May Boost Immunity
For one, it’s high in beta-carotene, which your body turns into vitamin A.
Pumpkin is also high in vitamin C, vitamin E, iron and folate — all of which have been shown to aid the immune system as well.
4. Vitamin A, Lutein and Zeaxanthin May Protect Your Eyesight
It’s quite common for eyesight to diminish with age. Pumpkin is plentiful in nutrients that have been linked to strong eyesight as your body ages.
For instance, its beta-carotene content provides your body with the necessary vitamin A, as well as, lutein and zeaxanthin, which are two compounds linked to lower the risk of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) and cataracts (4).
5. Nutrient Density and Low-Calorie Count May Promote Weight Loss
It’s incredibly low in calories despite being packed with nutrients. In fact, pumpkin clocks in at under 50 calories per cup (245 grams) and consists of about 94% of water (2). Pumpkin is also an excellent source of fiber, which can help curb your appetite.
6. Potassium, Vitamin C and Fiber May Benefit Heart Health
Pumpkin contains a variety of nutrients that can improve your heart health. It’s high in potassium, vitamin C and fiber, which have been linked to heart benefits.
7. Contains Compounds That Promote Healthy Skin
For one, Pumpkin is high in carotenoids like beta-carotene, which your body turns into vitamin A. Studies show that carotenoids like beta-carotene can act as a natural sunblock (5).
Once ingested, carotenoids are transported to various organs including your skin. Here, they help protect skin cells against damage from harmful UV rays (6).
Pumpkin is also high in vitamin C, which is essential for healthy skin. Your body needs this vitamin to make collagen, a protein that keeps your skin strong and healthy (7).
Pumpkin is rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. It is a low-calorie food that may boost your immune system, protect your eyesight, lower your risk of certain cancers and promote heart and skin health.
Pumpkin is very versatile and easy to add to your diet in both sweet and savory dishes.
Easy Pumpkin Dip Recipe
- 1 8oz Cool Whip (Whipped Topping)
- 1 10oz Can of Libby's Pumpkin
- 1 tsp Pumpkin Spice Seasoning
- 1 box Vanilla Wafers (Nella Wafers)
- Mix together well 1 full can of Libby's Pumpkin, 1 8oz container of whipped topping, and 1tsp of pumpkin spice seasoning.
- Serve will vanilla wafers or shortbread cookies of your choice.