As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Homemade Apple Sauce
This Homemade Applesauce Recipe is made with just 5 simple ingredients and is ready in just over 30 minutes. Enjoy this easy and delicious Homemade Applesauce as a simple snack, healthy dessert, or alongside more savory dishes such as potato pancakes.
This recipe remains one of my favorite snacks or side dishes to a quick lunch for the kids. It is light, healthy, and loved by all ages. Every time I prepare a big batch of this homemade applesauce it’s like digging into a big slice of apple pie. Yum!
What ingredients needed to make the homemade apple sauce recipe?
- Sugar or another sweetener (optional)
- Ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Lemon juice
You’ll notice that I made a little note that adding sugar to this recipe is completely optional. I am a person who prefers things that are less sweet. Don’t get me wrong I love my sweets, but when it comes to applesauce, I actually really love the taste of apples so I don’t feel the need to drown them in sugar.
If you prefer sweeter applesauce, then I definitely recommend adding some sugar (brown sugar, granulated sugar, or stevia). Go slow when adding and deciding how much sugar is right for your applesauce recipe.
What are the best apples for apple sauce?
Each apple variety has a different taste, texture, response to heat, color, etc. Depending on your own personal preference will likely determine which apples you prefer.
- Pink Lady Apples
- Golden Delicious
Mix them, match them, test each one-by-one, it is totally up to you. We definitely mix and match them here. The flavors of all of them really do blend together wonderfully.
Homemade Apple Sauce
- 3 lbs approx. 6 medium apples peeled, cored, quartered and chopped into smaller chunks.
- 1/2 c water
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 c sugar optional
- Place the peeled, cored, quartered and chopped apples in a large pot. Add the water, lemon juice, sugar, and ground cinnamon. Stir well.
- Bring to a boil on high heat, then turn to low and cover. Maintain a low simmer for 30 minutes or until the apples are completely soft and cooked through.
- Once fully cooked, remove from heat. For chunky applesauce, mash the apples in the pot with a potato masher. For smooth applesauce, add to a food processor or blender and blend until smooth.
- Enjoy warm or cold.
Another easy recipe I shared recently was Apple Pudding Pie and Apple Crisp. It is so easy to make as well and could be cooking while you are eating dinner. Then you can enjoy as a dessert over some vanilla bean ice cream. Yum!
If you try this Applesauce, please leave me a comment and let me know! I always love to hear your thoughts.
Be sure to check to out other recipes as more are being added all the time.