As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I was looking for another easy cake like the dump cake and decided to come up with a pudding cake with a pistachio pudding mix due to Christmas being right around the corner. You can also make this for St. Patrick’s day with its green coloring it would be perfect!
This cake has a very faint pistachio flavor. A lot of folks will know there is something different about this cake, but probably won’t be able to put their finger on precisely what it is until you tell them.
Unless the green coloring gives it away first, however, most will think you used food coloring when in reality, you didn’t. If you put a food colored cake next to this Pistachio Pudding cake, it would be hands down noticeable that it isn’t food coloring.
Are there Pistachios in Pistachio pudding?
Yes, there are tiny pieces of pistachio nuts inside the pudding. So I would advise if someone you know has a nut allergy that they do not consume.
Is this a Christmas or St. Patrick’s Day cake?
It could be either one. Currently, it is December here, so we used a Christmas tree cake pan.
Cake Decoration Ideas:
- Shredded Coconut
- Chocolate Chips
Pistachio Pudding Cake
Pistachio Pudding Cake
- 1 box Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1 box Instant Pistachio Pudding
- 3 Eggs
- 1 c Vegetable Oil
- 1 c 2% Milk
- 1/2 c Confectioners Sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 c Milk 2% or Whole Milk
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish or Cake tin with nonstick spray
- In a medium bowl, combine dry cake mix with dry instant pistachio pudding. Mix those together until combined.
- Then add in eggs, vegetable oil, and 2% milk. Stir just until combined.
- Pour into prepared baking dish. Bake for about 25-30 minutes.
- Check around the 25-minute mark. If you insert a toothpick into it, it should come out clean when done. Now, it will look brown when you take it out. Don’t panic.
- Allow cake to cool completely before making the frosting and decorating.
- Almond and soy milk will not give the cake the correct consistency.
- Feel free to add some green food dye if you choose to make it greener.
- If the frosting is too thick, add a touch more milk. If it’s too thin, add a little more powdered sugar.
- For the vanilla extract, we recommend using a pure extract as the flavor will be better than imitation.
Our family enjoyed this moist cake, and we hope yours does too. Please let me know any feedback you have because options are endless, even on the decorations.