This post contains affiliate links. If you click and buy, I may make a commission, at no cost to you. See my disclosure policy for more information.
I love watching movies on gray days and a few of my all-time favorite ones are those with twins in them. There are quite a few out there where the plot is focused on twin siblings or two characters posing as twins. One of the most familiar plot lines is quite often twins switching places, either at birth or later in life.
The Best Movies Featuring Twins:
- One of the most well-known, and a film that is popular with kids is the movie The Parent Trap. The Parent Trap came out in 1998 and features identical twins who are separated at birth and each raised by one of their biological parents. The twins reconnect at summer camp and devise a plan to get their parents back together. Actress Lindsay Lohan plays the roles of both Hallie and Annie. This movie is a great one to watch with your kids and is quite charming.
- Another cute movie about a twin swap to watch with your older kiddos is the movie She’s the Man. Amanda Bynes stars is the sporty comedy where she poses as her twin brother (played by Channing Tatum) at his boarding school so he can run off to London to become a musician. Romantic entanglements ensue and create some complicated attachments.
- Looking for some light hearted comedic relief related to twins? The movie Stuck on You might be exactly what you’re looking for. Matt Damon and Greg Kinnear star in this movie from 2003. They play conjoined twin brothers who work very well as a team until Walt’s (Greg Kinnear) dream of pursuing acting causes them to have a falling out. This movie might be better suited for date night as there is some sexual humor and language.
- Ok, now it’s time for the tear jerker, The Memory Keeper’s Daughter will for sure tug on your heartstrings. A Doctor takes his pregnant wife to the hospital to deliver their child. Once their son has been delivered, the man realizes there is a second baby, a girl who has Down Syndrome. He instructs the nurse to take her to a hospital for the mentally ill but she decides to raise the baby as her own. The story follows these twins separated at birth through their lives as they deal with the repercussions from a decision made so long ago.
- We can not forget the entire Mary Kate and Ashley Olsens many movies (and shows). They were featured in To Grandmothers House We Go, Passport to Paris, How the West Was Fun, Double Double Toil and Trouble, It Takes Two, You’re Invited to Mary-Kate and Ashley’s Sleepover Party, The Challenge, and The Adventures of Mary-Kate and Ashley. They had a some shows they were also in that you can see below.
Here are a few other movies with twins you might like:
- Double Team
- Double Impact
The Best Shows Featuring Twins:
- Finding Carter
- Full House
- Liv and Maddie
- Orphan Black
- Pretty Little Liars
- Sister, Sister
- So Little Time
- Suite Life of Zack and Cody
- Sweet Valley High
- The Lying Game
- This Is Us
- Total Bellas
- Two of a Kind
As you can see, the range of plot lines when it comes to twins in movies and shows there is a wide range. We love a good story about twins who have been separated at birth, and the story of them finding their way back to each other over time. Such a feel-good when twins are reunited! Quite often one character will play the dual role of twins but it can be a rare occasion when twin actors will play the parts.
Did I miss your favorite movie or show featuring twins? Share your favorites with me down below in the comments, I’d love to hear!